Friday, June 20, 2008

"God is in the details"

...quote by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

My true nerd is coming out as this post is another salute to my local PBS station. Last night I watched a program called Saved from the Wrecking Ball: The Farnsworth House.

The Farnsworth House was designed and constructed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and was completed in 1951. It was designed as a one-room weekend retreat for Dr. Edith Farnsworth of Chicago on 60 acres of land adjoining the Fox River in Plano, Illinois. It is widely recognized as an iconic masterpiece of modernist architecture. Mies loved to work with steel and glass and called his buildings "skin and bones" architecture. The Farnsworth House was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2006, after joining the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.

After watching the program, I need to sign-up for a tour!

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

I would def. want to tour this. I suppose it makes sense after studying this building and ALL the furnishings inside it;) Let me know!

Leanne said...

Done. We're going. Let's pick a date. You could use the break from house projects, too!