Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Art-o-mat

Note from the website:

"Art-o-mat machines are retired cigarette vending machines that have been converted to vend art. There are 82 active machines in various locations throughout the country."
You never really know what you'll end up with...total artistic chance! Creative idea, huh?! I picked up this little piece at the Chicago Cultural Center a few years back for $5. I heard a segment about Art-o-mat on Chicago Public Radio and decided to check it out for myself.

The piece featured above:
"In 1998 Lynn Basa quit her day job to become a full-time artist. Afraid of starving in the gutter, she decided to look for opportunity there instead. She began collecting and documenting all of the money she found in public places. As of March 2003 she has found over $200. In Lucre Strike, she passes on one find per pack, no matter the amount. Each specimen is accompanied by photos of the surroundings as they appeared at the moment the money was found."
{Marsh's Grocery in Bloomington, Indiana. A penny found.}

**
Boardgame in the background: Napoleon's Triumph. Compliments of Brad. I mentioned in my profile his love of board games. It's true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Watch what you're taking pictures of, you'll give away my troops to my Play-by-Email opponent!

-Brad

Anonymous said...

I was going to leave a comment about the interesting art piece, but then I found the halarious comment left by Brad. You two are characters. I've got some news, will try you tonight. It's definately a telephone thing. -J