Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Giant Pool of Money

Brad and I love the radio program This American Life (produced by Chicago Public Radio). TAL is a weekly hour-long radio program and is hosted by Ira Glass. It is also, quite recently, a television program on Showtime. Each week's show is loosely centered around a common theme (Prom, Human Resources, How to Talk to Kids...etc). The theme of the show is explored in several "acts", usually two to five. The program is generally non-fiction although they have featured short fiction, essays and such. A popular contributor is the writer David Sedaris.

"The Giant Pool of Money" episode is a MUST listen! It is a special program about the housing crisis. They explain everything...

"What does the housing crisis have to do with the turmoil on Wall Street? Why did banks make half-million dollar loans to people without jobs or income? And why is everyone talking so much about the 1930s? It all comes back to the Giant Pool of Money."

4 comments:

Megan Coyle said...

I stumbled upon your blog, and when I saw the TAL logo I got excited. I listen to that radio show whenever I'm working on artwork. I love it. And the episode "The Giant Pool of Money" was very interesting and depressing at the same time.

Leanne said...

Hi Megan, thanks for stumbling over to my blog. I'm obviously a fan of This American Life. Your art work is interesting!

Mrs.French said...

I did not realize there was a television show! Thank you for the info...off to listen now.

Leanne said...

I don't have cable so I haven't actually seen TAL on TV. I have seen some sort of sneak peek/promotional video, though (thanks Holt!). I LOVE the radio program but I'm not convinced it works as well on TV. Just my thoughts...