Monday, August 18, 2008

Weekend hodgepodge

I love the design of the National Stadium (ie, the Birds Nest) in Beijing. One of my favorite architectural firms, Herzog & de Meuron, collaborated with ArupSport and China Architecture Design & Research Group to win the worldwide design competition.

I think the judges made the appropriate choice.

Speaking of the Olympics, have you seen any of the fencing competition? Talk about dramatic imagery- dressed in all white, hi-tech gear and the large darkened stadium.****
Okay, we didn't spend the entire weekend gazing at NBC's coverage of the Olympics. {Which in my opinion, is just so-so anyways. What's with all the swimming, diving and gymnastics coverage on primetime?} We went to a minor league baseball game on Saturday. Despite now knowing a single player and the crappy ballpark food, it was actually a pretty fun evening. The tickets were cheap and there was a fireworks show after the game. On Sunday, in between glimpses of the Olympics and the Chicago Cubs game, Brad and I played board games with his uncle. I beat the guys at the first 4 games...take that men!

Perhaps my consecutive wins of expansion and conflict was too much for Brad. Today he's home sick with a cold acute sinusitis. Poor guy.

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

Way to take the game over, leanne!!! hahaha. Feels good, doesn't it? I must admit I am glued to the gymnastics.

Mrs.French said...

"the nest" is my favorite too.

Anonymous said...

I like the bird's nest, but I think that the swimming building is really pretty too! It's like a bunch of bubbles on the ceiling - a cool effect in the reflection off the goggles of the swimmers. Sorry, that's my favorite sport in the Olympics, but I will admit that I only watched a few of the races because it got a little old after awhile.

Congrats on the wins! I hope Brad gets over it soon...I mean feels better (hehehe)!

please sir said...

Yes lots of Olympic fever with my friends!

Vana said...

i hope Brad feels better soon:)