Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Prayer for an Election

I am excited that today is November 4th. And hopefully all those email forwards will stop- hahaha! Do your own research. Compare/contrast. Vote with your gut! Or maybe you voted early!
****
I remember "interviewing" my parents for a junior high social studies assignment about where they were the day that President Kennedy was assassinated. I think THIS ELECTION might be my assignment for a future school project. Hmmm.
****
Brad and I are members of a small Episcopal church that is literally at the end of our block {we miss you Holt and Tony}. The church is over 100 years old. Brad was raised Catholic, I was raised non-denominational Christian and we met at a small Baptist college. Whew, did you catch that? Ha! Our church community, though small, is quite involved in social justice and environmental protection. THIS ELECTION has been quite the conversation piece at coffee hours, neighborhood chatter and dinner parties.
****
Prayer for an Election-
Almighty God, to whom we must account for all our powers and privileges: Guide the people of the United States in the election of officials and representatives; that, by faithful administration and wise laws, the rights of all may be protected and our nation be enabled to fulfill your purposes; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
~Book of Common Prayer, page 822

6 comments:

Kasey said...

thank goodness for early voting these days!

Anonymous said...

In Mayberry, we don't get those little reciepts, just a sticker that says "I voted"

Leanne said...

In my section of Mayberry (in Chicago no-less!), I didn't even get the option of an electronic ballot. WHY do we get the long rectangular ballots and a small square table space???

I would rather get a sticker. :)

Alyssa said...

My message may have been erased - so i will post again!

Here in Geneva, we had super nice electronic ballots! They worked AND made sense - go figure;)

holt said...

What a beautiful prayer and moving post. Thanks for the shout out. We miss you guys somethin' awful!
I got a sticker after I voted that an election official put on Alice's head. I wish I had my camera at the time!

Leanne said...

Thanks, Holt...

Hey, you're the ones that moved to AUSTIN, TX... neighbor! I called Tony last night to invite you guys (and baby Alice of course) over for election coverage, beer and left over beef pot pie. Hmmm... how utterly Midwestern of me. Ha! We miss you guys at St. John's, too.

Peace.