Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Curious Expeditions: Pneumatic tube

Curious Expeditions... just like you'd imagine the blog to be about.
{Thanks for the link, Brad}

"There was once another way to deliver your messages of love or heartbreak from Harlem to the Lower East Side, from Canal Street to the Planetarium, even from Manhattan to Brooklyn itself. The way these notes traveled was by, quite literally, a series of tubes... From Wiki “Pneumatic Tubes, (also known as capsule pipelines or Lamson tubes) are systems in which cylindrical containers are propelled through a network of tubes by compressed air or by vacuum.” In other words, canisters full of letters, shot through tubes by air pressure, running all over Manhattan..."



You can read the entire post over at Curious Expeditions.

2 comments:

Jaimee McClellan said...

Now if only my computer wouldn't time-out and I could watch the video, ugh!!! Oh, and I tagged you by the way :)

Leanne said...

Ohhh... a tag. I will work on it over the weekend. :)