Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pretty Little Surprises

Harald Sohlberg,
"Fisherman's Cottage"
1907, Oil on canvas

Last Thursday it rained buckets in Chicago. And as luck would have it,
I made arrangements to attend two meetings downtown. I even purchased calling cards for the Neighborhood Stabilization Program gathering. The meeting was packed but the organizers did not offer name tags. How are you supposed to network with a room full of people if you have no starting point?!?! Soooo frustrating. Afterwards, I dried off at the Art Institute of Chicago. They offered FREE! admission! during the month of February.
I paid $1 for coat check and took a breather. I've been to the Art Institute many, many times but noticed these three pieces. Pretty Little Surprises.

#1 "Fisherman's Cottage"

Gaston La Touche (1896) Pardon in Brittany #2 Gaston La Touche, "Pardon in Brittany"


Peter Blume
"The Rock" (#3)
1944-48, Oil on canvas

I was familiar with "The Rock" though I was not aware of its connection to the Frank Lloyd Wright designed home, Falling Water, in Bear Run, Pennsylvania. Hmmm. It was a long, rainy day but a FULL day!

5 comments:

Racquel said...

I always enjoy the Miniature Rooms at the Art Institute. I could spend hours looking at them.

littlebyrd said...

Oh - those are beautiful! I recently took my son to the Portland Art Museum for the first time. I hadn't been in years and it was such a wonderful day. I had forgotten how much I enjoy mueseums.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know the connection but now that you say that...

The AI is awesome!

Jaimee McClellan said...

Now I'm even more excited! Tomorrow, the hubby and little guy are taking me to the Philly Art Museum. I'm SOOOOOOO excited. As an Art Major, I'm embarressed to say I haven't been there since Finn was in diapers. We're packing a lunch & bringing Finn's new Big Boy Bike (training wheels and all) too so we can picnic along the river. There's a heatwave coming - 70 degrees - can you believe it? We just had a blizzard 5 days ago. Should be pretty muddy but I don't care :)

holt said...

Tony loved his copy of "The Rock" for his birthday!!
The original Brad creation was great as well