Monday, April 27, 2009

Hyde Park

...accents in yellow.

The weather in Chicago- these last few days- has been wacky {for lack of a better word}. It was a stormy, humid 70 degrees by 8am on Saturday. I drove down to Hyde Park for a 7-hour church conference. I'm young and not a seminary student... so I felt slightly out of place. It was a Leadership and Ministry Fair.

I stayed down in Hyde Park for the evening- which included dinner and board games. Brad drove down with a friend; whose girlfriend is a seminary student at one of the MANY theological schools in the community. I made a trip to Walgreens for some allergy medication but seemed to enter a President Obama gift store instead!! {Obama has a home in Hyde Park-Kenwood.} Brad and I brought the board games and they supplied the dinner. We had a fun night even though it sorta turned into a Sudafed party- ha! By the time we left the area, it was a chilly, stormy 40 degrees. Weird.
****
Hyde Park is a beautiful, architecturally significant neighborhood and home to many institutions; including the University of Chicago and the Museum of Science and Industry {just to name a few}. I've explored the community just a handful of times. The 57th Street Arts Festival is Chicago’s oldest juried art fair. The neighborhood is home to the Robie House- designed by Frank Lloyd Wright {we were actually 1 block from the Robie Saturday night.} In 1893, Hyde Park hosted the World's Columbian Exposition. The only building left from the fair is the Museum of Science and Industry.

I found a nice collection {albeit a bit large} of Hyde Park photographs on Flickr. *pictures from reallyboring/ Eric Allix Rogers

5 comments:

littlebyrd said...

I love the second buildings style so much!! We just don't have homes like that here in Portland - all the old brick and stone - I just love it. Sounds like a long and fun day!

Alyssa said...

I haven't been down that way forever! Glad you had a good time - weather and all:) An obama gift shop????

Racquel said...

Glad you two had an enjoyable weekend despite this crazy weather!

Leanne said...

The "Obama gift shop" was just the local Walgreens @ 55th St. + Lake Park Ave. They had TONS of Obama memorabilia!

Vana said...

Hey there! Love that first photo.. So refreshing! I am craving lemons now!