It was a rainy evening in Chicago. I made this {gluten-free} bean and Canadian bacon soup recipe. Brad and I ate a late dinner and watched Rick Steves tour Vienna. Consequently... hmmm... someone is daydreaming about Europe. Actually, traveling in general. sigh. In June of 2004, Brad and I rented a house IN TUSCANY! with nine of our friends for a week! It was the perfect graduation gift we could have given ourselves. Daydreaming about that vacation got me through a lot of lloonngg nights in the architecture studio. We often considered "Rick" to be the 12th member of our group. {how nerdy is that?? very}
****
My refrigerator is overflowing {okay, I might be exaggerating a little} with fresh vegetables. Every Wednesday, "Farmer Vicki" delivers her CSA farm shares to our local site. I am loving the whole CSA {Community Supported Agriculture} experience but at times, I feel the pressure to cook with- or freeze appropriately- all the veggies before the next delivery. Hence the soup this evening!
****
I have been on a mostly gluten-free diet for a few weeks now. This has been several years in the making as I grew tired of feeling like crap... and not fully knowing the root cause. So I am exploring a new way of cooking. And goodness, gluten is in A LOT of foods! I've been reading a lot lately- books, g-f blogs, food labels at the grocery store {more intensely}. Though if you have some information to share in the comment section, I'm all ears!
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Midweek cross section
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
So how is it going? Do you feel better? Gluten is in almost everything it seems! I once did a 2 week cleanse - no wheat, sugar, alcohol, caffeine, dairy. Oh man. It was so hard. Well the first 4 days were hard and then it got a lot easier and I felt really healthy at the end of it. I hear you an the travel bug, especially Europe for some reason. I love wathcing Rick Steves!! Hope you are having a wonderful week!
i love rick steves too! and i've heard it's really difficult but ultimately rewarding to kick the gluten habit. best of luck! this post makes me wanna eat lots of vegetables. Yum.
I decided to look into g-f because I get headaches often, fatigue, low-iron levels, low blood sugar, intense dry skin and basically I drank hot tea every night because my belly hurt. No fun. Soooo, it is going well... small steps. The biggest hurdle has been meal planning. I have to think about dinner parties, little meet-ups, snacks, etc. But I think the anxiety of trying something new- such as this- is frustration that ultimately leads to reward!! Brad is sorta on board, too, because I do the planning and grocery shopping. He's been encouraging. :)
I'm glad to know there are other travel nerds out there that enjoy watching Rick Steves on PBS... hahaha!
I miss it too...I think of a memory each and every day :)
Post a Comment