I roamed around the new Modern Wing Addition at the Art Institute of Chicago this evening. Brad was playing board games. I asked a few buddies last minute to join me but couldn't find any takers; so I went by myself. I walked to the train, walked from the train station to Millennium Park {a good mile}, walked over the 625-foot pedestrian bridge and entered the museum from the top level. {And ultimately repeated the journey back to my apartment!} I sort of felt like I was at IKEA... starting at the top floor and working your way down. Renzo Piano designed the bridgeway in addition to the Modern Wing. It links the museum with Millennium Park and allows you to cross over Monroe Street. The Art Institute now has three entrances: the bridgeway, Monroe Street and via the original entrance on Michigan Avenue. The bridge entrance provides the best views of the city skyline.
When leaving the museum, I heard music coming from the {Frank Gehry designed} pavilion in the Park. Lo and behold, it was a musical program honoring the 20th Anniversary of the Fall of Communism in Poland. Interesting!
****
The museum is free Thursday + Friday evenings Memorial Day to Labor Day. I didn't make it in time to fully appreciate all of the art on display. This particular adventure was more about the architecture than the artwork. Brad and I will have to go downtown another evening.
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Solo adventure
Labels:
architecture,
Chicago
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
That sounds like fun! I really enjoy the occasional "alone" outing, no distractions or small talk, just you and your thoughts. :)
I know what you mean.
I went alone to a movie at the Chicago International Film Festival a year or two ago. I thought it would be uncomfortable but it was actually kinda enjoyable. It was also a great, arty film. :)
Next time, I join you :)
sorry I couldn't go with! another time. I did pass by the new bridge though last week - looks great. glad you went and had a fun day! why not some fall of communism music??
Post a Comment