Monday, June 29, 2009

Redmoon Theater

Last Saturday night, Brad and I went to see ONCE UPON A TIME (or the secret language of birds). It was a Redmoon Theater production at Theater On The Lake. The theater building is a Chicago Park District facility and as the name suggests, it is right beside the water. Lincoln Park is a fairly large {and fairly affluent!} neighborhood anchored by Depaul University and the Lincoln Park Zoo. The housing stock is rather lovely. Before the show started, we walked around the zoo and park grounds. I would HIGHLY recommend a Redmoon Theater production. Their set design alone is worth a ticket! Brad and I were both in awe of the intricate details of the show {amazing}.



The only downer of the show was when we lost power 45 minutes into the hour-long production! After consulting with the actors and the theater director, the show continued in the dark... with flashlights. The audience, which was relatively small, was extremely quiet. After the show ended, the audience roared with applause. It was pretty impressive, even in the dark.

Once Upon A Time has also been invited to Festival Mondial Des Theatres De Marionettes in Charleville-Mezieres Cedex this September.
****
As we journeyed back to the car, in the sprinkling rain, I noticed a lot of walkers. It seemed a little late to be involved in a fundraising walk so I asked someone what sort of organization they were walking for- Out of the Darkness Overnight National Walk. The event was organized by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. I'm glad I asked. This is totally off topic from Redmoon, but I don't think we talk enough suicide and depression in this country. WHY is it so taboo?

3 comments:

littlebyrd said...

That sounds like a lovely evening. How cool they continued even after losing power. I think depression is taboo because it is generally viewed as a weakness, not an illness.

Leanne said...

It was a lovely evening. :)

A weakness, not an illness. I wish conversation could be more open.

holt said...

Sounds like lots of fun even in the dark!