Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wheat free update

**Long post alert...

I'm not a girly girl. I'm practical, sensitive, artistic... But I would definitely not call myself a shopper. I hate clothes shopping. I have short legs and finding tops and bottoms that work is an ordeal. You can buy pants that are labeled "short" or you can get items altered. Apparently, the clothing industry thinks that all women are approximately 5'-8". What does this all have to do with wheat free eating??? Well, I've lost some weight. Isn't this a thrilling post... hahaha... My nanny kiddos went camping last weekend and I had a little extra time on Friday; I was on a mission. It went alright which is surprising considering when you're actually looking for clothes, you NEVER find anything you actually like.

But I digress, back to wheat free eating... it is going well. I've spoken with my doctor and for the moment, we're treating it like a wheat allergy verses something more involved like the diagnosis of Celiac disease. I've been wheat-free since about mid-April. I've spent the last few weeks trying to educate myself on the topic. Gluten-Free Girl's blog has been a great resource of stories, links and recipes. I do all the grocery shopping for our home and will take the extra minutes to read ingredient labels. All of them.

I don't seem to have a problem with oats. If I was on a strict g-free diet, I couldn't consume oats {or I'd have to acquire special g-free oats}. This is good news because Brad and I are currently obsessed with these {Irish} oatmeal pancakes. I substitute the flours with a wheat-free/gluten-free flour. And how can you go wrong with honey and Greek yogurt- yum! {My friend Vana makes her own Greek yogurt.} We've been enjoying stuffed potatoes, too. We top the potatoes with CSA farm veggies. You can use the Greek yogurt as sour cream. Brad and I are both from the Midwest and we enjoy our middle-America comfort food. I have a mac-n-cheese recipe that I still use. I just substitute the wheat noodles with corn noodles and use wheat-free flour. Tacos- with corn tortillas- are okay for a wheat-free diet, too. I made a yummy blueberry + banana bread last weekend. Again, same recipe just different flour.

I took a clothes shopping break and checked out Rose's Bakery + Cafe last Friday. It's a gluten-free establishment. The soup and g-f french roll was pretty tasty. But I wasn't quite sold on their other goodies. I brought a few treats home to sample.

All in all, I am seeing improvements. I've lost weight, my stomach doesn't ache after almost every meal, I have more energy and my skin has improved. Though I think it is a combination of going wheat-free, drinking lots of water, walking more and maybe taking a gluten-free multivitamin {Trader Joe's}. I've learned that some vitamins contain wheat, who knew.

8 comments:

joslyn said...

sounds like you've gotten this wheat-free business taken care of! Hope you're feeling in tip-top shape!

Lindsey Lindstrom said...

sounds great, leanne!!! So glad to hear the diet is working well for you!

Leanne said...

Thanks, girls! xoxo

Alyssa said...

you are so disciplined! I think you are doing such a fab job staying up on this and education yourself. You look great and I'm sure it feels wonderful to have more energy again! Keep up the great work.

Leanne said...

{thank you}

I'm disciplined because when I cave, I feel like CRAP. Pizza is no longer an option. So sad. I need to make "special pizza." And that takes planning. boo! The first few weeks were difficult. The key is to speak up at dinner parties or lunch dates OR just bring your own wheat-free food. :)

littlebyrd said...

That is great! Do you also find you have more energy? Just curious.

Teresa said...

Hi Leanne,

I know a few people that have to watch what they eat.

One girl who has celiac got a bad rash from lotion with wheat in it! Just one more thing to have to pay attention to. She even feels sick after walking into subway. She can't have oats yet.

It's good to hear you are looking at this with a positive attitude and it's working out and you are feeling better!!!

Teresa

Leanne said...

Hi sister-in-law, thanks for checking out my blog! I know you guys are REALLY BUSY with the farm. :)

It is easy to stay positive when you see improvements and you actually feel better!! But there's also a fine-line between being excited and giving a lecture at a dinner party... hahaha! I just say I recently found out I have a "wheat allergy" and just leave it at that. If someone asks questions, I will elaborate but otherwise we just go about our business. Hmmm... lotion with wheat? Or something like oats in a product like Aveeno??

Oh, and thanks for the email, Teresa, about that Gluten-Free Mini-Course. I signed up... I figured I had nothing to lose! And it's free!