{toothpaste for dinner comic}
Earlier this evening, I watched a clip about "Coworking" on my local Chicago PBS station. Do you work from home? Does the setting fit your personality?? The piece featured two groups in Chicago: The Ravenswood Coworking Group and OfficePort. "The Ravenswood Coworking Group is a shared office environment for independent workers and entrepreneurs looking to end the “working alone” syndrome, without resorting to leasing an expensive private office ... Realizing that working from home is no longer awesome if you’re home pretty much all day, everyday. If you’re prone to extreme homesickness, or agoraphobia, this may not be a problem. For others, you quickly realize how much you miss being part of the human race, and being around others... Combining work and living space is sometimes an economic necessity, but separating the two can help you regain sanity and increase productivity. You’re at home to live your life. You’re at work to work, and nothing else—right? So why mix the two? ..."
I work as a nanny; I go to their home (close by). When the children are at school, I look for more meaningful work in my field of study, I volunteer and I work on odd consulting jobs. Though given the current economy, finding work in the consulting industry makes one think they are living in L.A.- hoping to "make it" as an actor. There is no routine. You're always looking for the next project, gig, research study, etc. I mostly work from home. Due to my current work situation, I generally wear my college clothes (ie, jeans and a t-shirt). No fancy work suits required (unless I have a meeting downtown, interview or if I'm networking at a lecture/ social engagement).
For someone that already struggles with grey periods, working from home is incredibly isolating. I like this idea of Coworking. A LOT, actually. I miss the closeness we had in the architecture studio. My nanny children are delightful but I miss the interaction with adults. Though I've also had several annoying coworkers. :) Hmmm.
How do you find balance? Do you like working from home? Do you go to the local coffee shop? Library? Are you the type that needs to get dressed for the day and travel to your work space? Thoughts???
Monday, November 9, 2009
Coworking
Labels:
Chicago,
Comics,
professional development,
tidbits
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I really like working from home. The thing I don't like is the inability to hang up a "closed" sign - lol! Since it is here the temptation to work in the evenings, on the weekends gets me. It is funny, I occasionally miss the interaction with people but more often I think how great it is that I am alone. That makes me sounds strange :)
I love working from home! After working in various work settings I find it quite refreshing. I think better. I create better. As of now, I don't really get homesick for people - not to sound bitchy or anything, but I like working on my own. There are times I need a change of scenery, so I head to the local coffee shop and work on computer stuff.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm so glad working from home works for you, ladies. You both seemed to have found a healthy balance...
Post a Comment