
Last week, I made around 30 cold calls to designated Main Street communities in the vicinity of Chicago. Main Street, I should clarify, is a program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
" The Main Street Four-Point Approach® is a community-driven, comprehensive strategy used to revitalize downtown and neighborhood business districts throughout the United States. It is a common-sense way to address the variety of issues and problems that challenge traditional business districts. "
I spent hours on the National Trust website, Googling community locations and creating an Excel doc of communities, names of directors and telephone numbers. I went down the list and just started calling. I spoke to directors about Main Street, their specific program and inquired about employment opportunities. I spent Earth Day on the phone- not exactly the most 'green' of activities. I didn't come away with a job offer but I did receive information one can only acquire from speaking directly to "the source." Conversation was fruitful and some directors passed along additional networking contacts. All the directors I spoke with are scrambling for funds. Today I read a story how the State Main Street program is on the endangered list, according to Landmarks Illinois.
****
Is your community attempting to revitalize its downtown? Historic buildings? Neighborhoods? Or have things completely stalled due to the economy?
If progress is coming, is the city involved? Or are these more grassroots endeavors?
Are you involved with your local neighborhood and/or business associations?
What do you like about where you live? What do you dislike? Do you drive everywhere or do you use alternative modes of transportation [walking, biking, public transit]?
What do you see as your community's assets?
---> All responses will remain in the comments section. I'm not passing along remarks to any sort of survey. This is just for personal reflection and informal conversation.
****
image: "town" ~ screenprinted fabric in leaf green on oatmeal cotton.
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Main Street
Labels:
architecture,
Chicago,
Etsy,
professional development
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment