Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Muralist

I love reading the "On Location" pieces in the New York Times Home & Garden section. Some dwellings are horrid, some are energizing and some make me want to rethink everything in my own apartment.


... The feeling of sanctuary became especially important for him shortly after he bought the apartment when he was mugged. His shoulder was broken, and he could not paint for two months.

One of the first things he did after recovering was to change the color of the living room wall.

“I painted the wall as if I was up in the clouds on the calmest summer afternoon in the history of summer afternoons — think Hudson River School, Asher Brown Durand,” he says. “I mixed three or four tones of warm sienna with lighter tones of white, with a hint of yellow ochre for warmth. If my boat was in the middle of a lake, I didn’t want a single wisp of air blowing my sail. I wanted to just sit there for a bit, breathe and regroup.” ...

What a narrative!! Read the rest of the feature here.

[Photos: Trevor Tondro for The New York Times]

No comments: