Tuesday, May 25, 2010

appreciate {the little things in life}

{appreciate / green and gray / letterpress print}

****
Do you ever listen to The Story on public radio? I went to the chiropractor this morning {sooo stiff from a weekend migraine} and couldn't walk into my apartment until I heard the end of the program.

The first piece was a real life story comparable to the movie 'Up'! ... On a dare from his work mates, Jonathan Trappe took his first balloon-powered flight two years ago, in his office chair. Hoisted by over 50 giant helium balloons, he sailed up to 14,000 feet, floating across the North Carolina countryside for over 4 hours. ...

The second story made me think about the first architecture office* I worked in while still in high school. ... Jami always had an interest in typography, and that's how she found herself visiting a small print shop in town called The Sherwood Press. The owner, Jocelyn, would change the way Jami saw her career and her life. ...

*I don't quite remember how I came to work in the office. The office was within walking distance from my house and I think I just showed up one day wondering if they would hire me as an intern; they did. Fred and Adelaide were a husband-and-wife team and were easily in their mid 70s by the time I started. They had thirteen children and welcomed me into the fold like family. I haven't worked with Fred in years but I still remember his vocational instruction and his stories. The office was tiny. I remember everyone gathered for a holiday party once and we had four religious backgrounds at the table: Catholic, Evangelical Christian, Buddhism and Hinduism. To this day, I've never had a boss treat me with as much respect as Fred did. I don't think I really appreciated it at the time.

No comments: