One of the blogs I frequent is Sweet Juniper. Jim, who contributes to one half of the blog writing, is a lawyer turned stay-at-home-dad. He and his family moved from San Fransisco to Detroit a few years ago.
I wrote this in my journal back in the fall and I reread the entry this weekend. This is actually a comment from one of SJ's readers:
"It is a mark of maturity and adulthood, when one is able to separate from the self which their parents have always lain upon them, without really having disdain for the parents in particular. Sure, they are "wrong" in their assessment of the value of your choices. But at some point, if you are lucky, you grow to be able to sit with their lack of acceptance/praise, feed yourself in that regard, and continue to love them anyway. Making unconventional choices always exposes us to the disapproval of others."
My path post-college has been an interesting journey thus far. I studied architecture in college. I've pursued a more non-traditional career path with my primary interests being affordable housing and public policies. I am motivated an interest in community and economic development and its relationship to sustainable initiatives.
I've been thinking about this last sentence a lot...making unconventional choices always exposes us to the disapproval of others. At times, I have found myself justifying my choices rather than embracing my accomplishments. I think it's important to surround yourself by like-minded people otherwise, you'll end up in funk. I received a boost of energy last weekend up in Michigan.

No comments:
Post a Comment