Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Restoring Relationships

I just sealed an envelope containing a birthday card and $5 bill. It is for my nephew's 11th birthday. I haven't seen him since 2004 and he lives about 1 hour away. His parents are estranged from the family. It truly is the children that suffer in these scenarios. Sometimes adults can be so selfish. Each year I send birthday cards to him and his little sister. And each year I know that I will probably never receive a thank-you. But I do it anyways...

****
On the flip side, Brad and I going to see an old college roommate of mine on Saturday. It has been at least 4-5 years since I last saw Melissa. We recently got reacquainted on Facebook of all places! I'm a little behind-the-times on the whole online social networking craze so this very notion of connecting in this way makes me laugh! Brad and I are touring the Farnsworth House on Saturday and then we're meeting up with Melissa later in the day. The location and the timing seemed to work out perfectly. God works in mysterious ways...

****
The Serenity Prayer-
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

6 comments:

Vana said...

Leanne,
You are an amazing ant, even though your brother and sister in law don't see that. I do feel for you...and those kids who are growing up without the chance to get to know a person who truly cares for them. Peace to you my friend!

Vana said...

oh and i love the little postcard....it's so you:)

Leanne said...

Thank you for your sweet words, Vana.

fyi, I didn't draw that little postcard. Read the post above this one.

Alyssa said...

I agree - you are a great aunt! Just continue showing your love and encouragement to those kids. Have a great time this weekend! ha! What a blast from the past.

Leanne said...

Thanks, Alyssa.

littlebyrd said...

I think it is so sweet of you to send the card and I am guessing it really means something to the kids. Bravo for rising above it!
I hope you have a wonderful time witrh your friends!