Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Record-breaking rains!

The Farnsworth House floods from record-breaking rains!
House closed for tours through 2008!

"Ludwig Mies van der Rohe's famous modern masterpiece, the Farnsworth House, fell prey to Mother Nature Sunday, September 14, as flood waters rose almost two feet over the top deck, entering the house..."


*Photo taken on our August 23, 2008 tour.

What a shame!!!

9 comments:

please sir said...

Oh my that is so sad!!

Lindsey Lindstrom said...

That is AWFUL!!! I hope the floods don't do too much damage to the interior...

Mrs.French said...

so sad...I hope it is brought back to perfection...I am so happy you were able to see it before this...

Jaimee McClellan said...

Oh, I'm so sorry!
How terrible!

Kasey said...

wow, can't believe the weather last weekend.
I had horrible weather while in Ohil.
yuck.
k-

holt said...

Yikes, that can't be good for the house. Why don'tcha send some of that rain down here Leanne? We could use a sprinkle. Our yard looks like the floor of the Thunderdome.

Leanne said...

Hey fellow Archinerds, :)

I'm soooo glad Brad and I decided to check out the Farnsworth House for my birthday weekend*...despite the HUMID weather that day. It hardly seems fair to complain about the humidity now that the whole place is flooded!!! And all the clean-up and restoration work is going to be so expensive. blah.

What a shame!

*My original first pick was horseback riding. Ha! I haven't been in years. Brad "picked" the house tour instead. It was a fair trade.

littlebyrd said...

oh no! I can't believe you were not that long ago. Hopefully they will be able to fix it.

Alyssa said...

I can't believe it!!! I am so glad you got here when you did:) I guess I won't be going this year:( sniff sniff