
Last weekend while playing tour guide, I took my family to one of my favorite buildings in downtown Chicago... the Chicago Cultural Center. The building used to be the city's central library and it dates back to 1897. It was later converted to a free municipal cultural center. The Chicago Cultural Center features countless programs and exhibitions covering a wide range of the performing, visual and literary arts. The location is perfect- it is across the street from Millennium Park. An interesting exhibit presently running is entitled Deceptive Design: Experiments in Furniture.
****
Back in 2002-03, I worked as an intern architect for a relatively small architecture office in downtown Chicago. Alyssa and I shared an apartment with two other girls up in the Rogers Park neighborhood- near Loyola University. {Man, that seems like awhile ago now!!} One of my favorite aspects of the Cultural Center is their LunchBreak Series. Each day at 12:15, they offer a *FREE* 1-hour program. I used to take a break from my relatively boring intern job and walk to the Cultural Center with my bagged lunch. It was a great mix of performance and people watching.
{nerd points!}
Friday, November 14, 2008
Deceptive Design: Experiments in Furniture
Labels:
architecture,
artists,
Chicago
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment