
December 21st (one day late). It is the shortest day of the year. And The Darkest Night of the Year. Happy winter greetings from Chicago! It is SO COLD here in the Midwest. Yesterday the windchill was 30 below! ugh. And I thought, hmmm, last Sunday it was 78 degrees in Austin, Texas.
I hate you winter but I love Calvin and Hobbes.
One more post about Texas- because I'm cold...
Unlike Springfield, IL, the capital of Texas has a thriving downtown. I'm speaking mostly in regards to urban planning, local businesses and cultural institutions. However, our dreadful Governor gave our state's capital another gloomy tale. Basically the only thing Springfield has going for it right now are the Abraham Lincoln sites. That is unless G-Rod closed those due to budget cuts {like the Dana Thomas House}.
But I digress... hello Austin!! After we surprised! Holt! and after lunching on some Texas comfort food, we toured the state capitol building.
Baby Alice's first letterboxing experience happened to be at the Austin Nature and Science Center. She was lucky enough to find the stamp just moments after a feeding at the Birds of Prey exhibit. Awesome. Go Alice!
We filled the remainder of our weekend with the card game Dominion, local FOOD joints and more sightseeing. What was the name of the yummy tamale place?? Tony took us past Austin City Limits but alas there was no signage on the studio. I'm such a PBS nerd.
THANKS for the great visit Tony, Holt and Alice! When it warms up, please come see us in Chicago!
Monday, December 22, 2008
Because I'm cold.
Labels:
architecture,
Chicago,
friends,
letterboxing,
tidbits,
travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I'm confused, did Alice feed the birds of prey, or did they feed her? I can't remember.
-Bred
Hahaha! Like me, Alice just watched from a distance. But the rest of you got much closer to the dead mice (and others). And I believe Holt has video proof. Sooo gross!
30 below?!?! I shouldn't complain here in PA. Hope you're not going to the game tonight!
Ha! NO, I'm NOT at the Bears-Packers game! I don't really understand football to be honest. I like watching baseball. :)
Awww so wonderful!!! Happy Holidays!
yup that's Chicago for you! I took Niko on a car ride today,,, i know i am crazy but it was the only way to calm both of us down. I just love to look at the snow, not so much driving though it though.
HAPPY HAPPY CHRISTMAS if i don't chat with you before your travels.
Post a Comment