Monday, March 9, 2009

The National Register of Historic Places: Chicago

The National Register of Historic Places recently added The Inland Steel Building (30 W. Monroe St.) and Independence Park (NW side park).

Inland Steel Building, Photo by sdsparks

The Inland Steel Building is easily one of my favorite architectural landmarks in all of Chicago.

"Critics and scholars have consistently praised its graceful proportions, the elegance of its detailings, and the sophistication of its public art. But the Inland Steel Building has not been adequately cited for one of its most praiseworthy attributes, the civic benefit of its presence on the streetscape." -Lawrence Okrent, AIA Guide to Chicago.
Independence Park Fieldhouse, Photo by When lost in.....

I've taken my kiddos to Independence Park. I am always in awe of the impressive Arts and Crafts influenced fieldhouse. I'm glad it was recognized by the National Register.

****
Brad teased me upon hearing "the news" about the Inland Steel Building. "Oh, you better post something about this on your blog." I'm not the only architectural nerd in this house. Brad and I met in architecture school. "The news" is like architecture porn!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If "Inland Steel" was an ice cream flavor, I'd probably have a big bowl of it right now to celebrate.

-Brad

Leanne said...

... an ice cream flavor. ha!

We're such nerds. xoxo

holt said...

I wondered today what you (as a person who cares about the legacy of buildings) thought about the renaming of the Sears tower.