I'm German. I don't think I'm a lick of Irish. Though I have two notable memories about St. Patrick's Day. One is the oooolllddd Disney movie, Darby O'Gill and the Little People {with a young Sean Connery}. A few years ago my mother found a copy of the 1959 flick and it was date night at the Gehrig's apartment. Aww man, I wish I kept the memory. The movie was pretty lame- ha! Though the Banshee scene is still pretty creepy...
****
My other St. Patrick's Day memory is about my Great-Aunt Frieda, McDonald's Shamrock Shakes and this other old movie. I think I was about 7 or 8 years old. My parents went out, my older brothers were busy and I guess my father talked his aunt into "babysitting" me. I have fond memories of Aunt Frieda. She lived to her mid-90s, she never married, liked black coffee, smoked cheap cigarettes and liked *warm* Old Milwaukee beer right out of the can. She was a character alright. I really liked her, though. I presume my mom thought Frieda was a Lucy and Desi fan so she picked up the rental and some shakes. They left. And Frieda pretty much fell asleep in the family room! Awesome.
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Reminiscing... Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment