As I was coming home from the grocery store today, I caught part of "Worldview" on Chicago Public Radio. Today's program was about our local food system and what’s happening in other parts of the world {how appropriate}. I listened to rest of the program while eating lunch.
I live in the Midwest where local produce should be plentiful but sadly it is not! My brother- and his family- operate a small, family-sized organic farm in Georgia. Whenever Dave and I catch up on the phone, we inevitably talk about sustainability and farming. Such was the case yesterday. I in Chicago; he in the north Georgia mountains.
Brad and I are CSA shareholders with a small farm south of Chicago. For three seasons, we get a weekly box of fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables. We also get organic eggs. Farmer Vicki has an amazing operation. I love reading her weekly CSA emails with recipes and details about what is going on at the farm. Very reflective for this city dweller!
Next month, we are going on another farm tour.
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Local food system
Labels:
CSA,
family,
Radio,
sustainability
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Just planted our garden for the summer. It never fails to amaze me that I can feed myself from mere seeds. It's the best feeling ever.
My favorite local farm should be open for business any day now - I actually think yesterday was Opening Day!
Post a Comment