Tuesday, August 4, 2009

routine

I had an evening appointment last Wednesday. I took the train downtown and it felt rather surreal to see the city from that perspective. Midweek. I watched the sun set behind the buildings. A change in routine.
****
I read a tender post on Sweet Juniper last week.

"They drag the kids to dinner parties because they don't have a sitter, a small grace that normally saves them from the obligations of smoky bars and bands they'd rather not stand around waiting for until midnight. "I'd be a hermit if it weren't for you," he tells his wife as they stroll up to the elaborately carved door. Both of them know that it is true..."
Read the rest of the entry.
****
Brad and I did see a band that ventured on stage around the 11 o'clock hour. On a Sunday night -when we both had to work the following day. We had a bowl of cereal and chatted about the concert in the wee hours of the morning. And then drifted off to sleep only to arise in a few short hours. That evening is one of my favorite memories of the summer thus far.
****
I have a little time off this month from my nanny schedule. They are visiting some family friends. The children are sweet but I'm welcoming the pause. I have plenty to occupy my time... chipping away at that to-do list. It's long. I did however get into a routine with the children: mornings getting ready for school turned into getting ready for summer camp. Then came space for my errands and time carved out for community development work from home. And then off to pick-up the kids for the afternoon shift. It was a pattern- A, B, C repeat.
****
Brad and I have been carving out more art/studio time lately. Rather than talk about the studio projects we wish we had the time to pursue, we're making the time. {what a concept- ha!} I'll be posting some of our projects on/off in the coming weeks.

4 comments:

Vana said...

miss you girl!

littlebyrd said...

I am looking forward to seeing what you guys create. Enjoy your pause...your summer sounds nice :)

Leanne said...

Despite the lack of summertime travel, roadtrips, etc., it has been a nice summer! {not to mention Chicago's oddly cool temperatures. strange. It's been a min-vac to the Pacific NW.. ha!} And I'm loving this art/studio time we've carved out. We are taking another pause here shortly and heading down to Nashville to see some college buddies for a few days. Cheap lodging. :)

Vana, I miss you too. Door Co. was too long ago...

Alyssa said...

can't wait to see what you create! your stenciling has turned out wonderful. Enjoy your break, friend :)