Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Unspoken Requests

I've been in a bit of a blogging funk. My mind and energy have been elsewhere. Is it really a week into September already?? Brad took this picture and I didn't know I'd be in the frame. But I sorta like the composition. A reflective gap...
****
We entertained some family over Labor Day weekend. My brother, the farmer, was in town for the wedding of a childhood buddy. Dave brought along his two youngest boys. His wife and eldest son stayed back at the farm. A few highlights:

~Exploring Chicago's Green City Market + picking up treats.
~Strolling through Lincoln Park with my brother.
~Having the boys spend the night at "the hotel." That's what Nic referred to our apartment in the city. :) Playing with our childhood toys from the 80s.
~Taking the train downtown (con: the train being 30 minutes late) and riding the water taxi on the Chicago River.
~Walking around Millennium Park with the nephews and my Dad.
~Pausing on the wooden footbridge to dip our feet in the shallow water.

****
I love public radio because I enjoy listening to a good story. I take pleasure in reading children's literature with my nanny children. I'm fond of the band
Over the Rhine
. They write songs {and album notes} with thoughtful details. Poetry. Stories. Music. Linford Detweiler, along with his wife Karin Bergquist, comprise OTR. I often listen to Linford's solo piano albums while I work at home and/or during a quiet reflection.


****
Hmmm. An unspoken request...

Yesterday, I saw my estranged brother and his family. Luckily, I had a sibling-husband-nephews-buffer. My parents were present as well. I haven't been beside my two brothers since my wedding. SIX years ago. I was a tad bit anxious. :) Family can be a complicated relationship. Three vehicles met in small-town Wisconsin. We rode a vintage trolley, went to an old-fashioned ice cream parlor and walked around the summer camp my brothers and I attended as children. I wish things were different, but they are what they are. It was a tiny step forward.

Needless to say, it was a lloonnggg Labor Day weekend.

4 comments:

littlebyrd said...

Ah - yes. Family. I got you on that one. I am happy for you that you were able to take some small steps forward. About blogging...I get in those funks too and then one say it is gone. It will come back for sure.

Leanne said...

Small steps are good though six years takes some time to mend. We're different people/siblings now, ya know. I have things to post but I haven't been in the zone. Glad to know this sounds familiar. :)

Jaimee McClellan said...

Well, take a deep breath...you made it and, like you said, small steps are good.

And by the quantity & quality of my blog, you can see I'm in the same predicament at the moment as far as blogs go. I'll still be checking in on ya either way :)

Alyssa said...

My oh my - you did have quite the week!! I know we talked, but I am happy for you and this big step! I know families can be totally messy:)

Glad you had a nice time in the city with the boys - love the 'hotel' - that is too cute.