Monday, September 8, 2008

Happy birthday, Jane Addams

Oh, and happy birthday {weekend} to you too, Alyssa! You share your day with Jane Addams, Brad shares his with the Dalai Lama and I share mine with Lewis "Scooter" Libby. Awesome.




Alyssa, in the Gardens of Rodin (Paris, France).

Pete and Alyssa's 2007 blog throughout Western Europe. "We plan to travel simply, volunteer, and build relationships with locals and family."

Alyssa was one of the first people I met, 10 years ago now, during freshman orientation at college. We were in the same mentor group (is this a Christian College thing?) and started off in the same major. I'd like to think that I'm a different person now at 28 than my 18-year-old self but it has been a rewarding journey having several long term "met-in-college friendships." She's been a great friend, a listening ear and creative accountability partner over the years. Alyssa is also a wonderful traveling pal, roommate, camping buddy and concert companion!

Cortona, Italy (June 2004)
The group: 11 in all, 1 rented villa, 1 rented car

****
Here's a "Scout Sunday" in the theme of Alyssa's blog...

Brad and I took a walk around our neighborhood and loaded this curb-side discovery into our Jeep last night. Poor Brad, I have no upper body strength. I am made of weak sauce. It was a royal pain getting it into our apartment- I have a large bruise to prove it, too! Perhaps Alyssa will have some artsy suggestions for repurposing this dresser. Maybe I'll order some of her drawer pulls.

6 comments:

Alyssa said...

Thanks, Leanne! What a nice and sweet birthday dedication:) I am honored to share this date with Miss Jane. Go Hull House!

Very impressed with the find!! It looks great - can't wait to see it:) I have a similar piece sitting in our living room right now!ha!

Leanne said...

You're welcome! I hope you had an encouraging weekend. I have NO IDEA where this piece will end up. Hmmm.

Mrs.French said...

you are beyond sweet to post such a lovely tribute to your friend...love you both!

Leanne said...

Thanks for the nice comment, Mrs. French.

Lindsey Lindstrom said...

Just looking at that pic of all of us in Europe...how the HELL did we fit in that tiny car? SERIOUSLY!
Joah driving. Jon in the front seat.
Me, Mort and Marissa in the back seat. You, Alyssa sitting and laying on our laps. Pete, Brad, Joe and Steve in the hatch back. We are crazy!

Leanne said...

Lindsey, are you referencing our clown car? Hahaha! Crazy kids!