Last night, after feasting on an onion, sweet potato* and pork roast crockpot dinner, Brad and I watched The Savages. It was a chilly night in Chicago. I'm not quite ready for winter- ugh. {*The Spanish onions and sweet potatoes came from our CSA box.}
I read about The Savages in the 2007 Chicago International Film Festival schedule. We didn't see it at the film festival last year. Brad and I tend to pick films that might not be as widely released. {nerd points!}
Philip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney were superb and darkly funny. We both enjoyed the film though I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. Brad refers to this movie genre as "melanchomedy." (melancholy depressingly funny). I would add these films to melanchomedy as well: The Royal Tenenbaums, Little Miss Sunshine, Lost in Translation, The Squid and the Whale and Junebug.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
The Savages
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Depressingly funny!
-Brad
Oooh - I gotta put it on my list:) Can't get enough depressingly funny days in my life;) ha!
Looks good...on my list too!
Post a Comment