{ Dutch for 'the bike factory.' }

I think my father's favorite part of the Wells Street Art Fair, last Saturday morning, was seeing this shop along the blocked-off street fair. As a kid, he hooked up this old school fiberglass bike carrier onto his bike. He rode his bike to work several days out of the year. He even built his own recumbent bike. What can I say, the man loves bicycles! So it didn't really surprise me that he chatted with the shop owner of De Fietsfabriek USA.
I have yet to ride my bike along Chicago's busy streets. Neighborhood streets, lakefront paths, forest preserve trails- YES!- but not along major streets next to city buses. Our CSA shareboxes are delivered 1 block away. I have yet to pedal to the local grocery store {though I have gone on foot}. But I love these bikes! Brad and I will be married six years next month and we've only ever had one vehicle. We try to utilize the many public transit options within walking distance of our apartment. Perhaps we'd forgo our one vehicle altogether if I-Go came to the neighborhood.
****
I know I've mentioned his blog here before but I've been a reader of Sweet Juniper for awhile now. On a related note about bicycles, read his post about The Popscycle.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
De Fietsfabriek
Labels:
Blogs I read,
Chicago,
CSA,
sustainability
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
oh, how i love that second bike!!!
my twin sis lives in chicago. she used to ride her bike, until she got hit by a car—she was banged up a little, but is fine. it's scary down there on a bike! but along the lakefront, i could see.
great post. i'm doing one on bikes soon—mostly about my $1 vintage bike that i bought at a garage sale and plan to fix up.
Post a Comment