Thursday, July 23, 2009

The "d" word

I've been reading Heather Armstrong's blog, dooce, for awhile now. {Have you heard of her? She's pretty famous on this here Internet}. Her writing is laugh-out-loud funny. She's crude, insightful and honest. She is also much more open about personal stuff than I am on my blog. I tend to be much more guarded when it comes to posting things ON THE INTERNET.

But one of the things that keeps me reading dooce are her posts about her struggle with the "d" word.. meaning depression. Said topic is socially taboo, so if this is uncomfortable please skip the read and come back when I've posted something lighter**. {no hard feelings, really.} Heather doesn't write about depression on a weekly- or on a monthly basis for that matter- but when she does, it's enlightening. I am not a mother yet and thus haven't battled postpartum depression {as Heather has and has written about so eloquently}. But I am keenly aware of the "d" word. I've battled depression for a long time. Most of the time I win because of the supportive people in my life.

Heather posted an honest piece yesterday about having a second child. And she linked two posts that her husband, Jon, wrote about living with someone that struggles with depression. They share a business- working from home- and have two little girls. Talk about a full plate!

I'm writing this post as a record for myself. I'd like to have a way to go back to their writings.

**Lighter post coming today or tomorrow. Brad + I received a wonderful package from some dear buddies. I'm so excited to share the book they gave us. They know us well.

3 comments:

Jaimee McClellan said...

That "d" word is a very powerful thing & it tends not to discriminate. I often "opt out" when it comes to discussing the topic as well but I'm with you...I'm human too :)

littlebyrd said...

yes. I understand comletely this post. I am so happy you have a great support system. Know you always have a friend in me as well.

Leanne said...

Thank you for your kind words.

I was hesitate to post this because I didn't want it to be a downer. The delay of opening up an Etsy shop has been partly because of a creative funk. Artists. Depression. It's an unfortunate combination of good and bad... hmmm.