
An Autumn Evening
By Lucy Maud Montgomery*
Dark hills against a hollow crocus sky
Scarfed with its crimson pennons, and below
The dome of sunset long, hushed valleys lie
Cradling the twilight, where the lone winds blow
And wake among the harps of leafless trees
Fantastic runes and mournful melodies.
The chilly purple air is threaded through
With silver from the rising moon afar,
And from a gulf of clear, unfathomed blue
In the southwest glimmers a great gold star
Above the darkening druid glens of fir
Where beckoning boughs and elfin voices stir.
And so I wander through the shadows still,
And look and listen with a rapt delight,
Pausing again and yet again at will
To drink the elusive beauty of the night,
Until my soul is filled, as some deep cup,
That with divine enchantment is brimmed up.
*I referenced her most celebrated book in my very first blog post.
****
I LOVE autumn in the Midwest. I don't think I could live anywhere where I was not surrounded by four seasons. It has been a chilly start to October this week but that just means cozy sweaters and more hot beverages. {October also means baseball playoffs! in Chicago!} This season also brings apple cider donuts...yum! And road trips!
In a few short weeks, Brad and I are going down to Nashville, TN to visit some dear college friends. I'm so excited to see baby Rin again (oh, and I guess those "other people" too). I told Steve that this picture looks so 70s folk album cover. He said their family band name is The Corn Shuckin' Yippers.
Friday, October 3, 2008
An Autumn Evening
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Apple cider donuts! There was a woman and her daughter in the shop I work at just the other day. The mom was visiting here and as they were paying she mentioned not forgetting the donuts - then they told me all about apple cider donuts and how delicious they are. Sounds so good!
love this picture of them.
That is great! So glad you get to make a trip down south to visit that cute family;) Totally 70's album cover!
Dude, Baby Rin looks just like our Alice in this picture!
I am dreaming of hot beverage and donut weather right this second!
Ahhh...Chicago.
littlebyrd- are you implying that you haven't had apple cider donuts yet? :)
Move back! Move back! We miss having you guys in the neighborhood. And we have yet to meet little Alice. Poor guy, I think I might be calling him "Baby Rin" even when he's 25. Ha!
Post a Comment